Property and Financial Settlements

Our lives and finances are becoming more and more complicated. A property settlement may need to cover a wide range of property including:

  • The family home. Decisions will need to be made about who will keep the home or whether it will need to be sold.
  • Investment properties and shareholdings. Often there are taxation consequences that need to be considered as part of any property settlement.
  • Trust, company and partnership structures. If you are retaining the structure, care needs to be taken to properly remove your partner from ongoing involvement in the entity. If you are stepping out of the entity, we will make sure you are protected against any future liabilities of the entity.
  • Businesses and farming enterprises. Property settlements may need to ensure the ongoing viability of a business or farming enterprise to ensure ongoing income for the family.
  • Superannuation. Superannuation may be split between you and your partner. Or one of you may keep more of the superannuation and the other may keep more of other assets. Self Managed Superannuation Funds (SMSF) are becoming more common and need particular attention in family law settlements.

There are many factors to consider with property and financial settlements, including:

  • Contributions during the relationship (both financial and non-financial).
  • Future needs, including ongoing care of children or other people, earning capacity and other financial resources that may be available.

If you are thinking about a separation, or have already separated, contact us for advice about your rights and entitlements before agreeing to a financial settlement.

We can help you in your discussions with your partner and assist you to reach an agreement about a financial settlement. After meeting with us, you might wish to have direct discussions with your partner to try and reach an agreement, or you might prefer us to negotiate with your partner or their lawyer on your behalf. We will talk to you about the best way of achieving an agreement in your particular situation.

Once an agreement is reached we will prepare the documents needed to finalise the property settlement so that you are protected from further claims from your partner in the future. You can rely on us to implement the agreement including taking care of property transfers, and any changes to companies or trusts.

Our preferred approach is to resolve property and financial matters by agreement wherever possible. This minimises your stress and financial costs. Unfortunately, sometimes it is not possible to reach agreement about property and financial matters. This might be because the other person refuses to negotiate, takes an unreasonable position or threatens to destroy or dispose of assets. In those situations, Family Court proceedings may be necessary. We have the skills and experience to represent you in the Family Court and act decisively and assertively on your behalf.

Google Reviews


This process has been long, emotional and sometimes harrowing for me, but I appreciate your professional efforts and your patience throughout. Thank you for making things easy and showing me a way through the thicket. I appreciate it.

Read More

Have a problem? We can help.